The above mentioned dessert was famous during those cold winter nights and it was definitely ONE of my fav desserts there...
So, when I came back here for good and craving for them, I decided to look up the Internet and bake these goodies during the holy month (since the supplies of dates were never-ending during the month!)...
I tend to get a bit domesticated during the month of Ramadan since can't do much besides running/exercising/sleep/work... ;)
Will share more recipes as I go along k?
Anyhoo, I got this super sedap recipe from allrecipes.com:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, grated
7 ounces chopped pitted dates
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup softened butter
3/4 superfine (castor) sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
About 3 cups vanilla ice cream
(The recipe above makes about 12 servings)
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and chocolate in a small bowl, and set aside.
3. Bring the dates and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat, and stir in the baking soda. Allow the mixture to stand for about 5 minutes, then scrape into a food processor or a blender, and carefully puree until smooth; set aside
4. Cream 1/4 cup of butter together with the superfine sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in the flour mixture and the date puree until well blended. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
Before hitting the oven...
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, stir together the cream, brown sugar and 1 cup of butter in saucepan over medium low-heat until the butter melt; set aside.
7. When the puddings have baked for 25 minutes, remove them from the oven, and cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove the puddings from the tin, and place them into a baking sheet.
Almost there... ;)
8. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sauce over each pudding, then return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more.
9. To serve, spoon some of the sauce onto the bottom of a plate and place the pudding on top. Top with a 1/4 cup scoop of ice cream. Repeat the same for the remaining date puddings.
Here's the finished product:
Highly recommended to all of you (especially the Muslim readers) out there that doesn't know what to do with the excessive dates at home ;)
Or you can always pass to me and I'll do them for you...
But not for a battalion k :P